Alis Grave Nil

Sunday 11 March 2012

On Hell Being Other People at B&Q

On Saturday Roberto and I had a little trip into B&Q.  It's not my favourite place to be but we had to buy some wallpaper to get on with the never-ending decorating in our house.  We found some nice wallpaper and got everything else that we needed and then went to the checkouts to pay.  It's a huge B&Q and there were only three tills open.  There were crowds of people queuing and, being typically British, did not complain.  I noticed that one queue was smaller than the others but there was a girl standing in the middle of two checkouts holding a plant pot.  I said "Excuse me, are you in this queue?"  Before she had a chance to answer, this big rough looking woman in front of her with straw hair growled, "We're all just waiting to see which one empties first."  Being typically British myself, I said nothing and went to the back of the queue.  I should have said to her "You can't be in two queues at once," but she was big and scary looking so I kept quiet. 

Anyway, we eventually got nearer to the tills and the people in front of us were just about to pay when there was a query about a bar code.  The checkout girl had to ring a bell for a supervisor to come over and then he had to go and find the price at the other end of this huge store.  We started to lose the will to live so I said "Let's go," to Roberto and we went to the next till.  Well, we were standing behind someone with a huge trolley of plants and garden stuff and the 12 year old boy who was serving them had a query about a price and was on the phone to someone (probably his mother) trying to sort out the problem.  Roberto and I both said at the same time, "Come on, let's go."  We went back to the wallpaper department and put everything back and ran for the hills. 

The thing is, this happens to us every time we go to B&Q so I have told Roberto that I am never going there again, unless it is a matter of life or death.  We went to Homebase instead.  It was a much more positive and pleasant experience. 

The moral of the story is, don't put up with crap service any more, even if you are British!

No comments:

Post a Comment